Monday, February 9, 2015

HOWDY STRANGER

This week.... I need to get better at writing down what happens because I think that I will remember and then I never do......however my subject heading/title of this email ALWAYS has something to do with my week.

 Sister Holt and I have ran into some very interesting people this week. I don't really understand exactly where these people came from but it made our week very interesting to say the least..They make things more fun even when we don't really start teaching them. It is so cool to have the chance to meet all these people and learn a little about their lives!

This week we ran into this group of 3 young people. And started sharing the Gospel with them. Then one of them, within the first 3 minutes of talking to them started running down the street....until he was out of sight. His sister then goes. "I'm sorry about him...he is a bit skiddish...he got hit by a church van once and broke his leg." WHAT?! I don't really know much...but apparently y'all should all watch out for the southern church buses...they are all going CRAZY. you all better watch your backs! However! We did end up giving the girl a book of Mormon! Also! A funny thing about that whole situation the girls boyfriend walked 5 hours just to see her...they are about 15...the maturest people I ever met...Sister Holt and I were trying to be cool by talking to them at their level...by making some jokes....and they just stared and thought we were freaks..very uncomfortable situation..

We also decided to knock this one door! And this little old lady came to the door! Turns out she was deaf! And that I, when faced with a deaf person, looses all 3 years if ASL that i took..I froze and didnt know what to do and Sister Holt just started talking louder..Most uncomfortable thing. She gets a piece of paper and writes to come back on sunday when her husband is home...we dropped by and her husband told us that they were all good. Every minute if it was really uncomfortable and awkward. WHAT DO YOU DO IN THAT SITUATION?! They answered the door...soooo you just cant run... you are stuck in a situation that you cant get out of.. trying to share the gospel...

This week when going all the way across our area to the little down of Barbourville we saw a group of people who gave us a creepy vibe so we started walking past them..only to feel prompted to turn around and talk to the people. They turned out to be really nice! this girl that was in the group was soooo nice! and really funny! Her hair was bright red it was so funny! she Rocked it! She wasnt interested but she was really nice! Her father was also in the group and he was smoking a pipe.. A REAL PIPE. Like the ones you see in movies that old men always have, It was a really cool situation to see because he had a white beard and everything! he was nice too! Also in the group was M.. C..WHAT A CHARACTER.! he was really funny I am not really sure what was happening with him but he was an interesting fellow. He is from England. And had just put his finger on the map and it landed on barbourville and so he bought a ticket and came...then he was having a hard time and wanted to leave England a second time and came back...first thing he said when we walked up to him "What the *** are you are doing here" Turns out he thought we were too normal to be there...Thanks??? But we talked with him for awhile and we cracked some jokes and then the girl and her dad left and we kept talking to M... and we ended up having a mini musical on the street in barbourville which was really funny because that is the town that was once a ghost town...it still was and it still felt like a horror movie..this time we just had someone to sing about it with...very interesting situation. But he was nice! not too interested in the gospel but a nice person. During our little musical a lady came out of the tattoo shop we were in front of and we asked her to join in with us and we started to sing to her she just laughed and said that we made her day! At least that was good!

This week we also knocked on this door once...and then twice... and then we figured no one was home. so we started walking away.. as we did we heard the door open so we turned around! just to see the cutest old lady you have ever seen! she was soo sweet. She sat and talked with us and we shared stories in the Bible and talked about how Jesus Christ has strengthened us and helped us in our lives. She was so nice! she has kids and grand-kids and great-grand-kids and she is still rockin' it! She was so nice!

Update on the skaters----it's going slow. Sister Holt and are are keeping ourselves on the down low..let them come to us....see how interested they really are...

So...apparently I have an accent. Sister Holt just decided to bring it up to me a little over a week ago...THANKS. So Apparently...I say "pup"corn....not popcorn...and "pup"tart...not poptart...and I say rum instead of room...and van-ella not van-illa.....but she sayyyyyssss she loves me the way I am...im not too sure.

And here is the highlight of my whole week.

I ATE SQUIRREL..

Squirrel is the most interesting thing I have ever had in my life. It wasn't too bad! It was like turkey and chicken combined. I also ate deer...which is like steak really. I don't see too much of a difference...maybe a little richer...but that's about all..I never thought the day would come...but I couldn't serve in Kentucky without eating squirrel....I can now die knowing that I have eaten squirrel.

This week had been a lot of fun. I have found out, for the millionth time on my mission that getting out of your comfort zone and just doing it makes everything you do so much more fun! I just love it! It makes you feel more productive too. Sister Holt and I had been feeling a little lazy, not because we weren't doing anything...but because we felt as though something was mission...this week we talked to more people and really went out of our way to walk and talk and knock, we felt more productive and happier in doing the work of the Lord. I know that the more effort we put in as missionaries the more room there is for the Lord to bless us. That goes for anything really.. I think whatever we do in our lives, the more effort we put in...the more we will get out of it. and that happier we will become. There is a reason it is called missionary WORK...but it isn't as much work when you enjoy it as much as I do! It is more like missionary fun effort...It's great!

This week we found out that on valentines day we will have a mission wide conference...and who will be the speaker? D. TOOD. CHRISTOFFERSON. One of the APOSTLES. and one of my favorites if I do say do myself..so stay tuned for that email!

quotes in Corbin-
"you tell that to the girl in barbourville that has herpies in her eye"
"if this was the wild wild west id hide from behind a rock and hoot 'em...i'd take 'em out"
"i'd pull guns on people just to shoot"


SHOUT OUT TO MY MOM thanks mom for sending me a package with some goodies! MUCH appreciated! and to steve for throwing in the sharpie and ear plugs!

Thank you all soo much for your prayers and your love! I miss you all and hope all y'all in Maine are staying warm and safe with the million feet of snow you all have... We got an inch this week,....they cancelled school...it started to snow a little today...and they are having school get out early....sooo needless to say...I am missing the snow a little. and am getting a good laugh!

HAVE AN AWESOME WEEK! Keep smiling and doing what you all do these days...enjoy the snow for me!

LOVE YOU ALL

Sister Taylor Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment