Tuesday, January 6, 2015

It isn't the obvious

This is a year of great things! and great growth! After All...who doesn't want that? Who doesn't want to have greater change and development in themselves as people... Everyone wants that. And I am so grateful to my Savior who has made change possible! and who has allowed me to be here in Kentucky around amazing people doing His work. Missions are hard. That is something that I learned this week...but it isnt the obedience that is hard...it isn't the rules...it isn't the schedule.. it isn't any part of what I thought would be hard about a mission...but it's the unexpected that is hard. It is hard to FIND PEOPLE. You put out all your effort to talk to everyone you see about the Gospel to the extent where you pull over the car and have your companion jump out and you talk to them...and then they just brush you off. But honestly It isnt the rejection that is hard! It is just feeling like your efforts arent going anywhere.. But! Something I always keep in mind is that The Lord didnt ask me to teach everyone I see. And to have everyone I see listen to the message we have as missionaries. No. Instead he just asks us to put out the effort and talk to people. share with them what we know to be true. What we have seen change our lives and lift us up out of challenges. And to share that with people...and he promises to bless us for that, I find it so easy to get caught up with seeing success through how many people say they want to learn. Our success is not based on that. it is based on our own personal commitment to do what the Savior asks of us and how much effort we are willing to put in. Success is based on whether we are doing all that we can to make a difference. I know that this dry pool of people to teach that Sis. Holt and I are facing is going to help us grow and make us better missionaries and better people and for that opportunity I am blessed!!

In our efforts to talk to everyone that we possibly can, we have to talked to people that seem to be really inconvenient to talk to...whether they are about to go to the store, if they are outside in their socks in the mud, or if they are on the other side of a fence. We talk to them. And guess what? The most inconvenient people..the people that are the most unexpected...are the people who want to learn about the gospel and are actually interested in the things that we have to say! We just have to do it! Because the Lord really puts people in our paths just for us that need the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

This week Sister Holt had the chance to go to dinner with the B...s. They are an older couple that are members who wanted to feed us! So they took us to this Mexican Restaurant and they told us about themselves and the Food was REALLY good. People like too take us to Mexican food here in Kentucky.. I'm not sure why. But this is was the best Mexican food I have had on my mission and I have had more Mexican food on my mission than I have in my whole life. And I think I am being accustomed to it! But it was delicious. And I thought I would let you all know. If you ever get the chance to go Corbin Kentucky...of course eat at the very first KFC...but also make an effort to eat at Santa Fe...on the Cumberland falls highway. It's worth it.


This week Sister Holt and I also lived in a horror film. We went to the town of Barbourville to talk to people there because it is always busy with people when we go there to teach people but don't have time to walk...this time...it was so quiet...creepy quiet. And there was no one...We would look inside the stores...no one was there....we would walk down the street and see cars passing...and none of the people in them looked at us....and the wind was crisp and the crows were crowing..it was a very eerie feeling...We thought we were going to die. It was a perfect combination of I am Legend.. Warm bodies, World War Z and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And then the movie where there is an unexpected twist and it isn't that no one is paying attention it's that you are actually dead. So that was a very interesting afternoon to say the least.

This week we also told some skate guys that they needed Jesus and He can make a change in their lives and make them happy....they didn't agree. #wetried

this week has been full of interesting experiences including THE FIRST KFC that I finally was able to take pictures of because it wasn't just a quick stop. And because it was Monday I was able to actually able to check out the museum part of it. It is wonderful. It doesn't disappoint. Come to kentucky and check it out.

This week I also hit the land mark that I have been on in Kentucky for 5 months....13 to go...that is weird. It is flying and it still feels like I just got here. Time flies when you are having fun!!!

I have one quote this week: quotes in Corbin:

"sometimes I just sitting there at work, and I pray for a soda"

No shout outs this week! People gotta step up your game!!! If you want to I mean.....

I hope that all of you had the chance to make some goals and do some awesome things this holiday season! I love you all and pray for you often! I know that I am where I am supposed to be. and that God wants me here right now. I am so blessed for this opportunity! but! that doesn't mean that I don't miss y'all!

Have an awesome week! God Bless!

--Sister Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment